Mercury Detoxification and Healing
Before you do anything else, optimize your diet!
With all healing, diet is critical. "Every meal is a chance to heal." Dietary optimization is the single most important factor in supporting your body's ability to detox and heal itself. In addition to a regular lifestyle fueled by nutrient-dense real foods, prioritize the following before and after mercury removal (begin 2-6 weeks prior to removal and continue 2-6 months after).
1. Eliminate and Reduce Dietary Toxins and Inflammation
- Your gut is your immune system. The body cannot absorb minerals, detox or heal when it is overwhelmed with food toxins and fake/processed or inflammatory foods. Remove inflammatory and allergenic foods such as sugar, soy, processed foods, processed dairy and grains (crackers, chips, cereals, pastas, and breads). Diet should be low in carbohydrates, moderate to high in complete protein sources, and high in healthy fats.
- Eliminate/avoid caffeine, alcohol (especially grain/gluten alcohol like beer), grains (wheat, barley, corn), sugar, all processed foods, processed meats (pork, sausage, deli-meat) and processed dairy (milk, cottage cheese, yogurt and soft cheese). DO EAT: An abundance of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, greens, squash, berries and other nutrient-rich produce along with meat and eggs from healthy, free-range animals.
2. Increase Complete Proteins
- Mercury cannot be broken down by the body. It must attach to and be carried out by transport proteins found in complete amino acids (meat and eggs). Incomplete amino acids (do not have all 20 essential amino acids present) such as vegetables, dairy or soy sources of protein are not effective for removal.
- Consume 4-8 organic, free-range eggs daily (over easy or undercooked yolks when possible for higher nutrient content). Grass-fed beef, beef gelatin, or 100% grass-fed whey protein powder.
3. Eat Healthy Fats Daily
- Lipids (from fatty acids) make up 60-80% of the central nervous system. Lipids need to be constantly replenished. Deficiency makes the nervous system vulnerable to mercury damage. Healthy fats are also crucial to absorb fat-soluble vitamins and minerals.
- Eat healthy fats like grass-fed butter, coconut oil, and egg yolks daily.
- Cooking Tips to include healthy fats:
- Fry over easy eggs in coconut oil.
- Add grass-fed butter to melt on steamed vegetables etc.
4. Increase Water and Electrolytes
- Without enough water the kidneys may become contaminated with metals. Adding electrolytes to water maximizes absorption and restores fluid balance to cells. For electrolytes, simply add any combination of unprocessed sea or himalayan salt, 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar, and fresh lemon juice or a drop of quality lemon essential oil
- â€‹Drink 16-32 oz of water with electrolytes 3-4 times a day. The most important time is first thing in the morning when water is most needed and best absorbed.
Mercury cannot be broken down by the body. It must be chelated or bound to other elements and pulled from the body. To detox mercury, it must first be mobilized or taken out from the places it hides and attaches itself to in the body. Second, it must be removed once mobilized.
If mercury is not properly removed, it will be redistributed through the body. This can worsen health issues and/or cause new issues. The first place mercury is likely to "lock up" once mobilized is the digestive system. For this reason, a clean, low-toxin/allergen diet is very important.
In addition to diet, supplementing key nutrients and detox agents are crucial to make sure the body has what it needs to function optimally and facilitate removal.
Basic supplement recommendations:
- 1. MULTI-VATAMIN ELITE by Thorne
- 3 capsuls, 2x daily (3 capsuls in AM, 3 capsuls in PM
- This supplement contains elements to help bind mercury and pull it from the body as well as key vitamins and minerals to support the brain during removal.
- 2. OMEGA-3 w/CoQ10 by Thorne
- 1 gel capsul 2-3 times daily.
- This supplement is an anti-inflammatory and aids in overall immune support.
- 3. Magnesium Citramate by Thorne
- 2 capsuls daily; 1 capsul in morning, and 1 capsul at night.
- 80% of mercury is removed through stool. Magnesium is necessary for healthy bowel movements, energy production and bone density (includes teeth).
- Every cell in the body requires magnesium.
- Magnesium Citramate combines two key forms of magnesium for best absorption.
- 4. Vitamin D
- 5,000 iu advised daily
- Almost every tissue in the body requires Vitamin D. Most of the population is deficient in Vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is needed for optimal immune system and cellular communication.
- 5. Optimal Lyposomal Vitamin C
- 1tsp, 3-6x daily on an empty stomach with water.
- Less than 20% of Vitamin C is water soluble. Lyposomal C is Vitamin C inside phospholipids (fats) to ensure that about 90% is absorbed directly into the cells.
- High dosages (3-6 grams daily) kill bad bacteria/infections and strengthen every organ in the body.
Other Supplement Recommendations
Digestive and elimination support for those with irregular or sensitive digestion and elimination (heartburn, irregular bowel movements, gas, food allergies, bloating etc.) or for anyone who does not have a regular lifestyle of "real food" eating:
- Enzycore by Standard Process
- 2 capsuls at each meal
- This supplement uses food-based digestive enzymes to break down and absorb food properly.
- Contains L-glutamine and kale to heal and support the intestines and stomach.
- Gastro-Fiber by Standard Process
- â€‹2 capsuls on an empty stomach with water, 2x per day.
- DO NOT take on a full stomach or it will cause digestive upset.
- Contains apple pectin, herbs, and psyllium husks to cleanse and support the gastrointestinal tract.
The above mentioned supplements are available for your convenience at Pleasant Avenue Dentistry.